There is nothing I love more than finding (or making) a special handmade item for a loved one. You know it will be something they won't find in a big box store and want to purchase something they will love and enjoy.
Toys for children are in a special category - they HAVE TO BE SAFE. All toys (including handmade items that are sold, and it doesn't matter whether they are being sold on a web site, craft show, or on Etsy), by law must adhere to government regulations and requirements. This is how we know we are purchasing a toy that has been made with approved materials and meets specifications. All toys should meet CPSC requirements and be labeled with associated data for that product.
The big question is "How do I know if it is a CPSC compliant item?
- Does the item listing mention CPSC compliance? Makers who become CPSC compliant have done a lot of extra work to make sure their products are safe. They will most likely document that information.
- All CPSC compliant toys will be labeled as such.
- If the item listing or vendor isn't showing CPSC compliance info in the listing, you can reach out to them and ask for the their small batch maker (what is provided for small businesses) number.
- Be aware that there is little to no oversight on what is being sold. Marketplaces do not monitor - Do not count on Etsy or Amazon to require and/or verify items are compliant.
Here is a great example of an Etsy seller whose products are compliant.
- CPSC compliance noted on image
- Further documented in item description.
- You can visit this shop here - https://www.etsy.com/listing/647036628
Some red flags to watch for:
- Small objects or parts that could come loose and be swallowed.
- Sharp objects or pieces that could cut or pierce (think skinny poles)
- Remember that lead paint could still be available in some countries.
I hope this helps in your purchasing decisions, and you find the perfect handmade toy for your precious little one!
NOTE - I do not sell handmade toys and am not a CPSC expert. If you have questions, please let me know and if I don't know the answer will find someone who can help. All items sold in the USA are subject to the CPSC regulations.
Thanks for reading